Functions of the media
These functions are crucial for understanding the relevance of this blog.
- The mass media shapes form and reinforce our perceptions and beliefs (they shape our attitudes and tell us what to think).
- The mass media reflects creates and distorts reality. (Tell us how to behave, sensationalize and dramatize).
- The mass media inform, persuade, and entertain, (can be in any combination).
- The mass media sets the public agenda, (they tell us what to think about/ what is important –agenda setting theory).
- The mass media are ephemeral, immediate and ever changing. (There today gone tomorrow, constantly changing, instant information).
- The mass media targets and serves a vast diverse and heterogeneous audience and have turned the world into Marshal McLuhan’s “Global village” -> technology has turned the world into a village and brought us closer together.
- The mass media establishes social norms -> tells us how to behave what’s right/wrong what we should strive for.
- The mass media affects human behavior (ex. TV violence and aggressive behavior) (The way we think -> if kids watch violent TV they will be violent).
- The mass media sensationalize dramatize and exaggerate their messages and are often routinely conflict filled. i.e. time magazine altering OJ Simpsons picture.
10. The mass media are a billion dollar industry run and influenced by advertising as well as powerful corporate money (Most TV stations/ magazines are owned by a major corporation.